Monday, March 23, 2015

Foundational Skills for Preschoolers

Foundational Skills.....

What every Preschooler should have by the age of SIX:

 
A Positive Social/Emotional Skills: How does your child relate to adults and other children?
Questions to ask yourself
*Does my child relate and respond to people at the park, at church, at the library, grocery store, in restaurants, with neighbors, at the playground or on outing appropriately?
*Does my child display his or her emotions appropriately? (does he scream, bite or have tantrums?)
*Does my child adjust to transitions well or changes in routines? 
*How does my child engage in mutual activities? (i.e. joint attention, initiating interaction or play, and  following rules of games?)
*Does my child show that he can share and is caring?

The Skill of Acquiring Knowledge and Using Language: for Thinking, Reasoning, Remembering, Problem Solving, Understanding Symbols,
and Understanding the Social and Emotional Worlds.
                                                  Questions to ask yourself
*How does my child use words and skills in everyday settings?
*Can you recall a time when your child tried to problem solve over something that was important to him or her?
*How does my child respond to directions or request?
*How does my child imitate others actions to learn or try new things?
*Does my child show understanding of symbols in the community or during play activities?
*How does my child interact with books, pictures and print?
*Does my child show understanding of how things work, what things relate, what comes next, and memory of previous actions?

Taking Care Of Basic Needs and Contributing to His and Her Own Health and Safety 
                                Questions to ask yourself
*Does my child show awareness of dangerous situations?
*What does my child do when he doesn't have what he wants or cannot get it?
*How does my child convey his needs?
*Can my child dress and undress him/herself independently?
*What are my child's actions/reactions to hygiene (i.e. tooth brushing, washing hands/face, blowing nose?)
_______________________________________________
The best way to encourage
Social & Emotional Skills
Acquiring Knowledge and Using Language
Taking Care of Basic Needs
.... is through MODELING correct skills in everyday life....



No comments:

Post a Comment